1. What is the use of a paring knife?
It is used to remove bones from meat or fish
Its function is to remove the peeling or outer skin of a fruit or a vegetable
Its use is to slice food into thin strips
2. When one talks about 'barding' a roast, what does it mean?
This means it is wrapped in fat
It means you tie it
It will be simmered in sauce
3. Which of these answers correctly depicts the qualities of fresh fish?
The eyes are clear, the body mellow and the weight feels adequate
The body is firm, the scales look shiny. It doesn't matter if some of the scales are missing
The eyes are clear, the body is metallic and firm with all the scales intact
4. Which of the following statements about healthy food is untrue?
Not everything dubbed as 'natural' or 'organic' is actually the healthiest option
Vegetarian diets are often protein deficient, or do not have enough protein in them to satisfy our body's needs
Many low-fat foods aren't actually that healthy for you, and healthy food isn't always low-fat
5. Why do people add salt to boiling water, besides for the taste?
It increases the boiing temperature of the water, so food can be boiled at higher temperatures
It lowers the boiling temperature of water, so we don't have to wait as long
It increases that number of particles in the water to make it boil slower
6. How can one fix an over-sweetened dish?
Add salt and lemon juice
Add some water